Skip to main content

About this collection

Lou Pollock, an Asheville, N.C. resident, was well-known as a merchant in the community and President of Pollock, Inc. He went into business in the city in 1910, and by his own account, did so with only $60.00 as capital. His shoe store on Patton Avenue in Asheville, was opened in 1920 and he was joined by his brother, Ben, as his partner. That same year he also started a store in Greenville, S.C. He followed that with a store in West Palm Beach, Florida in 1927. He was also the primary stock holder in Cinderella Slipper Salons, a venture he entered into in 1928. Pollock retired from his businesses in 1939. 

He is perhaps best remembered for the annual Christmas party for needy children which he prepared each year. During the party, Pollock gave away hundreds of pairs of shoes to children who had no means to purchase the shoes. In the words of his Masonic Brother and friend Thomas J. Harkins: "He was held in regard and esteem in the Asheville community. An expression of this, in 1949, the name of Mount Sinai Jewish Cemetery was changed to 'Lou Pollock Memorial Park.'" The cemetery was of special interest to Pollock, who served as president of the West Asheville Hebrew Cemetery Association, succeeding L.M. Cadison and H.L. Finklestein.

Ada Pollock, wife of Lou Pollock, was a homemaker and a strong supporter of her husband's civic activities. She, like her husband, was very involved in activities related to the social welfare of the community.

The couple had four daughters, Mildred Pollock Michalove, Alberta Pollock Server, Florence Pollock Rothstein, and Betty Pollock Golden. 

On this page you will find photographs from the collection. 

The Ada and Lou Pollock Collection is part of the Jewish Life in Western North Carolina Collections at UNC Asheville.

 
Select the collections to add or remove from your search
A
B
C
D
E
F
G
H
I
J
K
L
M
N
O
P
Q
R
S
T
U
V
W
X
Y
Z
 
OK